Our reader @rsvpwithlori asked:
Are there any specific requirements or restrictions for employing minors?
Any age and time restrictions on employing minors are determined by your state law and the Fair Labor Standards Act. Your state will specify:
- At what age a minor can legally work;
- The maximum number of hours the minor can work in a day or week;
- Whether there are restrictions on night time work;
- Whether the minor can work more during summer months.
Are you a business owner in Illinois + want to hire minors? You should know that:
- Minors under 16 cannot work more than 24 hours a week;
- Minors under 16 can work 8 hours on Saturdays and Sundays if no more than 6 consecutive days were worked during the week (and if the long days wouldn’t put them over the 24 hour limit);
- Minors under 16 cannot work from 7pm – 7am;
- However, from June 1 through Labor Day they can work as late as 9pm and can start the work day as early as 6am.
Want to check the law for your state?
#LZFREEBIEFRIDAY is a blog series provided as a courtesy to our readers and followers. In no way does participation constitute an attorney-client relationship.